Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Taking Better Pictures of Your Kids...

Like many people, I first really started taking pictures after the birth of my first child. My first DSLR was a Christmas gift from my in-laws five years ago, when Emily was one. My husband and I wanted to document every aspect of our new little miracle. My mother-in-law, Dale also gave me a few books, which changed the way I took pictures forever.  They did not turn me into a professional photographer, but they did start me on the path of taking beautiful pictures of my babies. Here are a few of the most valuable things that I learned that you can use with any camera…
1. Try to limit distractions in the back ground by focusing on your subject.
 Fill your viewfinder with what you want to capture, your child!
2. Use natural light as much as possible, such as window, an open garage, or a porch. . The built in light on your camera should only be used as a last resort.
Truthfully my first studio was my back porch, with a tablecloth as a backdrop…
3. When shooting outside, the lighting is best around sunrise or sunset. If you are taking pictures in the middle of the day, find a shady spot so that your subject is indirect sunlight.
4. Take pictures of your baby playing or engaged with something. I also used to take pictures of Emily when she was watching Baby Einstein. There were certain spots in the video where she would laugh on cue, so I would just sneak in front of the TV and take a picture.
5. Try to take pictures at a time when you are alone with your child, so there are little distractions. Also having a full and rested baby helps.
6. It is all a numbers game, the more pictures you take, the better odds you have of getting the perfect shot. With digital, you can always just delete the bad ones.
7. You can buy how-to videos for most DSLR cameras through AMAZON, etc. They cover all the main features of the camera, and for about $25 it is an awesome investment.
8. Post camera cropping can take an OK picture and turn in into a great one.
9. Make sure you hand your camera over to someone else, so you can get in some pictures too.
10. Have fun and take pictures of all of the precious little things.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       You will need a lot more than these few tips to truly learn how to use your camera.  My friend, Rosie Hernandez, is offering a one-on-one workshop for any one interested. I so wish I had an opportunity like that when I first got my camera.  Here is her link.  http://networkedblogs.com/cudAf                                                                                                                                                                                       My snapshots were definitely not award winning photographs, but they are souvenirs of beautiful memories.  Here are a few of my first pictures of my girls from around our house... They were taken with an entry level DSLR with a kit lens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment